Monday, August 8, 2016

Mending the Broken



These photos were taken by JennyEBurr 





Mending the Broken

Each of us will experience brokenness in our lives.  

 Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 
 Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted. 
Matthew 5: 3,4 NIV 

Jesus is referring to parts of us that can be broken. 

Our heart
Our mind
Our spirit
Our physical body
Our lives  

How can we be blessed when we are broken?

Aching in pain, grief, despair, guilt, shame or abadonment. 

Weeping until we can no longer shed a tear and our head throbs. 

Wanting to wipe out memories of what once caused our hearts joy but now only leaves us with emptiness and sorrow. 

Utter heartbreak!  Piercing pain! 

It is in our brokenness, 
Our pure emptiness,
When our strength has been fully depleted,
When our self-reliance has run aground,
That we are then ready to ask God for help. 

It doesn't mean that when we reach out to God that "POOF" our circumstances will automatically change.  They may but more than likely they may not. 

What it does mean is that our attitude toward our situation will alter, ever so slightly at first and more so over time.  

It means that instead of returning to our self-reliance we become God-reliant. 

We may experience peace and we will have the assurance that God loves us.  Healing begins when we give God control of our lives and this is a blessing indeed. 

God is in the business of mending the broken. 

I remember feeling broken and empty when my parents passed away.  It seemed as though all joy had fled my life. I would see other mothers and daughters in a store and I felt as though my heart was being ripped out. 

"Why do they still get to have their mom Lord?" I asked. 

I would see grandmothers with their grandchildren and my heart would break for my daughters who would never know their maternal grandmother beyond their ages of five and seven. 

Perhaps if my parent's deaths hadn't been just a couple of weeks apart I may have fared better but it took quite awhile for my brokenness to mend. 

I hurt. I ached. I wept and I hugged my daughters and my husband. 

My siblings and I were supported by our maternal cousins, aunts and uncles during this time, for they too were grieving. 

Grief is brokenness. 

Thankfully, God was very patient with me and gently nudged my healing along. I had two young daughters to care for to help keep me busy. Prayers from friends and family got me through my brokenness. 

Since then, I have been able to be a listener and a comforter for others who have lost a parent.  Being familiar with the heart ache helps those feeling a similar pain. 

Mending the broken. 

Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for accepting us in our brokenness, for your love, your patience and healing and for helping us to become more God-reliant than self-reliant.  In Jesus' name I pray. Amen. 

Your turn: Have you been able to come alongside another because of your experience with brokenness? Feel free to leave a comment.

Sign up for email: You may want to receive By His Grace posts right in your inbox. 

Other By His Grace Posts of Interest: