Tuesday, April 5, 2016

A 5 km Run? Me?




Be joyful always.



 Pray continually.


Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Jesus Christ.  

These verses are from 1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18 NIV.  The photos are courtesy of JennyEBurr


A few years ago I participated in a 5km run. My one and only. 

I trained for it with the staff and students at the school where I worked and I trained on my treadmill at home. 

It was not easy for me to decide to participate in the run because  neither running nor jogging are my forte, but I knew that I  could persevere.

Finishing was my focus. Completing the run was my goal.

My students could outrun me. 

I knew it and so did they. 

I did more fast walking than I did running or jogging and I crossed the finish line in the time that I had calculated. 

That's the short story. 

But the truth is I remember being partway through the 5 km run thinking that I wanted to quit but I was out in the middle of nowhere. 

If you have ever been to village, plunked smack down on a highway, you will fully understand about being in the middle of nowhere.   

Too far away to return to the starting line.

 Only slightly nearer to the finish line. 

It was probably for the best that  no one was around and that there weren't any houses close by, as I just might have given up. 

It was a dreary, drizzly day and I felt miserable. 

Despite my desire to quit, I continued on because I really didn't have a choice. 

Being in the middle of nowhere was inspiring me to move forward and to get myself somewhere. 

In addition, the knowledge that many of my students were going to complete the run, and may already of done so, was providing me with the incentive to finish. 

As I neared an intersection I heard a voice call out, "Go, Mrs. Burr!"  

Those three words spurred me on and encouraged me to keep going. 

Encouraging words can be such a blessing especially during difficult times; when you feel as though you simply cannot take another step. 

Sometimes, that's all you need. Just a few words of encouragement to complete what may seem like an insurmountable task.  


Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, when some tasks seem almost impossible help us to focus on You and to continue on. Helps us to encourage others and to be a blessing. In Jesus' name, Amen. 

Your turn to leave a comment: 
Have you experience a time in your life when you felt like giving up?  What encouraged you to keep going?  

 

Other By His Grace Blog Posts which may be of interest: 
Mid March Grays and Jeremiah 
When Success Is Failure
Being Content