Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Love Is...



Love is patient.


Love is kind.



 It does not envy.



It is does not boast. 



It is not proud.



It is not rude.



It is not self-seeking.



It is not easily angered.



It keeps no record of wrongs.



Love does not delight in evil 



but rejoices in the truth.


It always protects.


Always trusts.



Always hopes.



 Always perseveres. 

1 Corinthians 13: 4-7  NIV

Photo Credit: JennyEBurr These photos were taken by me in Ottawa and Prince Edward County.



When I think about the love which these verses describe I realize that it applies to many relationships in my life. 

My relationship with: 
  • God
  • My spouse
  • My adult children
  • My siblings
  • My parents (when they were alive)
  • My parents by marriage
  • My relatives
  • My friends
  • My co-workers   
The verses describe a responsibility which I have to others

A commitment to treat others with patience, kindness, respect, to put them first, to show compassion and forgiveness

Truth, trust, hope, protection and perseverance are included in this description of love. 

Also, it is a commitment for others to treat me with the same characteristics of love

But life can sometimes be quite messy. I know mine has been and I suspect you have also experienced some messiness too.   

We may discover that some of our relationships are not based a mutual commitment of respectful love. Mistrust, dishonesty, disrespect, and pride inch their way in to invade and destroy a relationship. 

I have to wonder. Would so many relationships be destroyed if each of us treated everyone in the respectful manner these verses imply? 

What if we all realized that God loves us in exactly this way? 
 

Prayer: Heavenly Father, help us to remember what love is and what love isn't. Remind us of this daily. In Jesus' Name Amen. 


Your turn: Do you sometimes need a daily reminder of what love is? 

Other Blog Posts of Interest:
Reading This 
Grumble, Complain 
Waiting 
Partners In Grime 
The Tragedy