Monday, November 9, 2015

The Tragedy

Image courtesy of JennyEBurr

After adding a few pictures of the Jock River into my blog post In Appreciation I remembered a time when the Jock River was not so glorious and welcoming.  

The tragedy which rocked our little village caused mothers to hold onto their children and fathers to embrace their families. It was a parent's worst nightmare come true. 

One early March day, many years ago, the front door to our house was flung open. 

"Jenny," called out a friend. "Have you seen my daughter?" 

One look at this friend's large eyes and hearing the tremor in her voice, told me that something was dreadfully wrong. 

I grabbed my boots and a coat as I spoke. "No, our girls have not seen each other since we had playgroup." Our daughters were now in grade one but not attending the same school. 

As I walked my friend through the village, toward her mother's house, I noticed a couple of police cars. 

Nodding at the police cars I asked, "Where do they think she is?"

Not saying a word my friend pointed to the Jock River as tears rolled down her face.

I began praying these words silently, "Lord please help them find her daughter and surround my friend and her family with your comfort."

Just a hint of snow was evident as much of it had melted in the sun. March is the time of year when ice melts quickly and only a thin, glassy layer forms at night.

I made certain that my friend was safely back in her mother's house and then I walked back home. With an aching heart I explained to my husband where the authorities were looking for my friend's daughter so that we could both pray for her family. 

Two pairs of footprints in the snow covered ice, going toward an opening where the Jock River flowed freely, were noticed. One pair of footprints retreating was enough indication for the police and divers to conclude that the young girl had fallen into the chilly water.

A neighbouring mom who lived in the village wasn't allowed to drive home because the police had blocked the entrances to the village. When she was told that a young girl had likely fallen into the river her heart pounded in fear. Was it her daughter?  

Using her cell phone a quick call to her spouse gave her the answer and relief she sought. After waiting a bit longer and talking with the police, explaining that she lived in the village  they eventually opened the road block so that she could go home. 

A couple of days passed and still the divers had not located the young girl's body. They promised that they would continue searching until they found her. Their hope was to provide closure to her parents and to her extended family. 

Days later, the divers found her lifeless body.

Tragedies abound. At some time our lives we will experience the pain of loss. 

These first four verses from Psalm 23 remind us of whom we can go to for comfort. 

Psalm 23: 1-4 NIV
The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not be in want. 
He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides my in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me. Your rod and your staff they comfort me.


Your turn.
Dear Reader, have you suffered from a tragedy? Lost a loved one? How have you found comfort in your loss? Please feel free to leave a comment.