Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Deadline is Looming

Have you ever had a deadline looming before you? One you knew about for quite sometime?

I have discovered that deadlines have a habit of creeping up on you. I tend to think that I have more time than I actually do have. How about you? Have you felt this way about deadlines?

This year we were in our classrooms until December 23. Without the help of my daughter and her boyfriend, as well as my husband, our tree would not have made it up or have been decorated. I was simply too exhausted to do any of it. Most years, we are off the week before Christmas and so I can help get the decorations out but this year it seemed impossible. Keeping it simple was the key for me in handling Christmas this year. We enjoyed a wonderful family time together on Christmas Day and my husband and I felt truly blessed.

As a teacher, I am faced with daily, weekly, monthly and term deadlines. You are also likely faced with them in your career or in your life at home. As a writer and editor, the deadlines are short term and intense.

Within a couple of weeks my husband's thesis is to be completed, including his defense. Two and a half years working on a Masters and his deadline is looming. This is indeed a matter for prayer. We expect that what happens next is for him to be searching for work, however we very much want to follow God's leading in this area.

What's next after the deadline? We shall soon find out. God has given us many examples in our lives of deadlines looming and what's next. The Bible provides us with an unlimited amount as well. As you enjoy your Christmas and New Years with family and friends, pray for God's guidance in your deadlines and what He has in mind for you next, just as we are.